Friday, June 22, 2012

Badass Revival

I spent part of my teenage years attending punk shows in my town on a weekly basis. All dolled up, with fishnets and a red mohawk. Feeling like a badass when I would be told by older women how pretty I was, then asked why would I do "That" to myself. "That" being my hair and a variety of facial piercings. Possibly my shaved eyebrows as well...In any case I liked it. Identifying as a punk rock girl, rather than the girls that tried too hard to be considered "pretty". Years down the rode here I am grown up a bit, but still punk rock at heart. The strange part is that the identity I cherished as a youth, is now "trending". The fact that I bought this shirt from Wasteland says a lot about what is available to fashion fiends. Ripped tights, band tees, colored hair, black lipstick, studded EVERYTHING. Sure it would have bothered me as kid. Feeling the scene you identify with being stolen. As an adult, I oddly enough find it charming. Girls putting holes in their clothing and shaving parts of their head to identify as "pretty". It's okay, keep it trashy :) All I can say is I sure hope the girls buying Slayer shirts off Nastygal know how to headbang.

Sheer Pink Dress: Cotton On, Black Flag Tee: Wasteland, JC Lita "EspaƱa": Solestruck, Sunnies: eBay

Jacket: Forever 21

2 comments: